Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Parrot Hello!

Ahoy! I mean Aloha!

I'm on a coloring/painting spree. Yup, it's still hot.

You know how you start to notice and LIKE some images from a new stamp company? Eeek! You fight it, and fight it, you don't need it, you don't want another company's images, and after the months roll by, you look for a set or two you can "afford." Because, after all, you wind up NEEDING it. Know what I mean?

So anyway... LOL... Your Next Stamp "got me!" I couldn't take it anymore. They are having a challenge that is one or both a sketch (Benadryl, please) and/or color inspiration. I did the color. If you know me, sketches strike a deep fear within me. It goes entirely against the "I Gotta Be Me" lyrics that Frank Sinatra sang. Sketches are NOT me.



Driven by guilt, I reached for the little set of Kuratake Zig Clean Brush Watercolors (I think that's close enough to the name?) and used the yellow, pink and green to meet the color challenge. You know how I managed to heat emboss some vellum yesterday until it bubbled and burst into a flame? Yes, another talent. Today (my first mistake of day) I did a similar thing to 3D Crystal Lacquer. Another note to self: Wait until next day to send anything with 3D Crystal Lacquer through the BigShot. Or better yet, apply the 3D Crystal Lacquer AFTER you run your image through a die cutting machine.

I managed to "squish" all the Crystal Lacquer. Boy, was it ever UGLIness. Sooo, I "thought" (second mistake) "Surely a little heat will smooth it right back out." LOLOLOLOL. No. It created a giant opaque snow globe where it was applied, over the parrot's beak. So I covered it with a simply colored nose, fussy cut, foam adhered over the snow globe beak. After all, a little 3D embellie is always acceptable.

Then I stamped some clouds across the background, glued some sequins, and called it a day. Headaches.

Stamp Set: "Soaring By" Your Next Stamp
Inks: Memento pads and markers; Kuratake Zig Clean Color Brush Watercolors (or close to that)
Cardstock: Strathmore 140#; GKD 120# white; AC Fuschia; Neenah 80# white
Dies: Inverted Scalloped Rectangles by Gina Marie (Hey, check out her dies - super cute, super reasonable prices & shipping); SB Distressed Rectangles
Pretty Pink Posh sequins
Dries Clear & Tape Runner, and of course, 3D Crystal Lacquer (not heat proof, sigh)



Always a giant mahalo for your stopping by!
With aloha ♥






9 comments:

  1. Oh well you totally needed this set for sure! I love your soaring parrot. Colored perfectly! Great colors and I adore a wonky placed panel lol Ahoy.....Aloha....Adios.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, perseverance paid off. This is so delightful and I can see why you had to have that image. I love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job! Your card is beautiful! My scary place is photo inspiration challenges...I need Benadryl with a Valium chaser!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely know what you mean about a new stamp set. It's a sickness, I tell ya!! Your card is so stinkin' CUTE...love that little birdy. I'm glad you caved and got the set, it's perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw...this is such a cute parrot! Love your colouring--I'm always saying that, but it's true! And his beak looks great! You'd never know the close call he had ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. he is sooo cute Rosy. love it. That company is actually about half an hour from me. :) Love your colouring and ideas, and agree with ya. Sketches don't really allow for doing ones own thing.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card!! Too cute!! Thanks for joining us at Your Next Stamp!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are just too funny! What a wonderful card. The pink clouds are delightful and adding the glossy accents really makes the bird pop. Thanks so much for playing along. Glad that you don't need meds for color challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fun card! So glad you gave YNS a try and joined our challenge! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments really encourage me a TON! Mahalo nui loa!